Английский язык. Язык СМИ Тест с ответами
1. Someone who commits a lot of crimes and goes on committing them is a __________________.
• persistent offender
2. Our front page today gives details of the government’s new economic proposals. Our readers may think, as we do, that these measures are too little and too late. We say to the government, not for the first time, it is time...
3. I belong to a great __________________. I e-mail those who are interested in 1960s music every day.
• chat forum
4. Choose the right answer: Think of it __________________. If the Internet were a book __________________ a webside would be a page in it.
• like this; then
5. The final stages in a competitive situation or a conflict, especially when the final outcome is not clear, are the __________________.
6. Choose the right answer: Do you write to many __________________?.
7. Choose the right answer: I’ve advertised __________________ in the paper. I hope I can sell it.
• my big red coat
8. Choose the right answer: Let’s go and buy __________________ television!.
9. Choose the right answer: You get so many exciting letters and postcards.
10. A computer that fits on a desk, used by individuals at work or at home, is __________________.
11. Choose the right answer: A: I don’t like to watch TV. — B: I don’t __________________.
12. Choose the right answer: The so-called “popular” tabloids of Britain give a great deal of their space to __________________.
13. Choose the right answer: “Popular” newspaper use gigantic __________________ and heavily illustrated __________________.
• headlines; advrtisments
14. Choose the right answer: British evening papers give full __________________ of major sporting events.
15. Choose the right answer: Who is a videot?
• video-addicted man
16. A piece of equipment that sends information from one computer along telephone lines to another computer is __________________.
17. Choose the right answer: She said that __________________ wrote back to her.
18. Hidden instructions in a program designed to destroy information is __________________.
19. Choose the right answer: Columns and other nonnews matterare called __________________.
20. If you use a __________________ in order to achieve your goal, you use subtle means whose purpose may not be immediately clear to others and which often involve taking a risk.
21. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is advance information, warning.
22. It’s so easy to use a __________________ when you want to send photographs to friends by e-mail. It’s just like using a photocopier.
23. When market prices are rising or making gains, or gaining ground, journalists, traders and investors talk about a __________________.
• bull market
24. Choose the right answer: We talked all night __________________ about old days.
25. A huge portion of the internet containing linked docu, ents, called pages, is __________________.
• the Web
26. The memory available on a computer to store and use information temporarily, usually measured in megabytes, is __________________.
27. Choose the right answer: The papers devote their front __________________ to the pictures.
28. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is responsible for seeing that the continuity between one scene and another in a film is correct — for making sure that people do not suddenly wear different earrings.
• continuity person
29. Choose the right answer: I like __________________ this magazine.
• the look of
30. Choose the right answer: __________________ is the general term for editorial matter other than leading articles or features.
31. Choose the right answer: Much __________________ in small newspapers is received from news agencies.
32. Hundreds of supporters shouted “Free her now” when Kiran awalia was __________________ bail.
33. Choose the right answer: E-mail makes keeping __________________ contact really easy.
34. When prices are falling or losing ground, traders talk about a __________________.
• bear market
35. Computer equipment or machinery is __________________.
36. Choose the right answer: Who is a a couch potato?
• TV viewer
37. Choose the right answer: Are you __________________ the Internet?.
38. Choose the right answer: Do you send __________________ e-mail?.
39. The synonym to the word “editorial” is __________________.
40. A small plastic disk that stores information is __________________.
41. Choose the right answer: The “quality” press represents the interests of the __________________ and of major political parties of Britain.
42. Choose the right answer: A short wave or a VHF radio can __________________ many interesting stations.
• pick up
43. I __________________ a good program from the Internet the other day. Would you like a copy?
44. I’ve lost a lot of data. I wonder if my computer has a __________________.
45. If you want some photos of the USA, you could just try __________________ the Web. You’ll be amazed how many you can find.
46. Writing and storing printed text on a computer is __________________.
• word processing
47. Choose the right answer: The main news story was __________________ on the front page.
48. Mix two egg yolks wit butter in a frying-pan over a lowgas. Add sugar and then...
49. Choose the right answer: Children of ten prefer looking at __________________ to reading books.
50. Choose the right answer: Before showing the film on TV they __________________ it.
51. A meeting place on the Internet for discussion of a particular topic is __________________.
52. I tried to send the photos by e-mail as an __________________ but the server was __________________.
• attachment, down
53. Across:1. kind of tree (5), 2. child (3), 4. performed (5)...
• crossword clues
54. The BBC is financed __________________ payments which are made __________________ all people who have TV-sets.
• by, by
55. In London the dollar __________________ by a tiny margin at the outset.
• edged up
56. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is a magazine that comes out once a week as an addition to a newspaper.
• colour supplement
57. John Butcher, Conservative MP for Coventry South West, has campaigned in the Midlands for habitual violent offenders to be __________________ bail.
58. Choose the right answer: The sports page speaks for itself: its __________________ is lively, remarkably full and many-sided.
59. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is the name given to an academic magazine.
60. A document on the Web giving information about a person or institution is a __________________.
• home page
61. A hard-hitting documentary series starts tonight at 10 p.m. Viewers might be shocked at scenes of...
• television preview
62. A pair of silver George II candlesticks fetched 17 000 pounds. Bidding was slow for Victorian oil paintings but a landscape by Somers went for 55 000 pounds.
• auction report
63. Choose the right answer: The rise of the periodically published newspapers came with the invention of __________________.
64. Robson equalized with a header from five yards just before the half-time whistle.
65. Where there are no clear winners or losers in a competitive situation, or no apparent solution to a conflict, there is __________________.
66. Choose the right answer: “Popular” newspapers are mass-sall sensational publications with huge __________________.
67. Choose the right answer: Mrs. Wise thinks there is __________________ violence on TV.
• too much
68. Choose the right answer: Two reporters were sent to cover the foods __________________.
69. Choose the right answer: Although our __________________ was expensive, we’ve taken some priceless film of our children.
70. Breach of privacy outside someone’s house is __________________.
71. To transfer data or software from a large computer to a small one is __________________.
• to download
72. Although best levels were not held, shares __________________.
73. Choose the right answer: He regularly __________________ the theatre column.
74. Choose the right answer: The US press is characterized by an increasing concentration of power; the stronger papers __________________ the weaker ones.
75. A lightweight portable computer that usually fits in a briefcase is __________________.
76. Choose the right answer: The major news story had a __________________ headline.
77. Choose the right answer: He doesn’t even get up from the sofa to change channels; he just presses __________________ on the __________________.
• buttons; remote control
78. Choose the right answer: Every national newspaper has a mobile __________________ of reporters.
79. If you play __________________ in a business or political situation, you act or negotiate in an aggressive way, and if you play __________________, you don’t.
• hardball, softball
80. Choose the right answer: My television __________________.
• is always broken
81. Choose the right answer: The times is a __________________ paper and caters for the interests of the Tories.
82. Choose the right answer: If you want to watch TV you __________________ it.
83. A film describing events leading up to ones in a film made earlier is a __________________.
84. Choose the right answer: The __________________ is responsible for the choice of the news, events and stories the reporters cover.
• news editor
85. Choose the right answer: The editor held a conference with his staff to plan the next day’s news __________________.
86. Those __________________ disks don’t store nearly enough information.
87. Audiences traditionally show their appreciation at the end of a performance and sometimes during it by __________________.
88. Choose the right answer: Literaturnaja Gazeta is __________________ by Union of Russian writers.
89. Choose the right answer: Local papers __________________ local, national, and world news.
90. Choose the right answer: My friend always writes the most __________________ letters.
91. A program on the grid you create with it to perform mathematical operations is __________________.
92. A group of people who have the same interests, who e-mail one another live as a group is __________________.
93. Yesterday at 7 p.m. Her Majesty gave a dinner-party at Windsor Castle for members of the Spanish Royal Family. At noon today Her Majesty will receive the new Ambassador of the Republic of Venezuela at Buckingham Palace.
• court circular
94. Mr Richard Caulder (West Hull, Labour) asked if the Minister of Transport could inform the MPs of train-fare concessions for pensioners. However, the Speaker declared that...
• parliamentary review
95. Choose the right answer: How many __________________ of the magazine have you already got?.
96. If __________________ parties or politicians get reelected, they receive a fresh mandste from the electorate for a new term of office.
97. Starting overcast with intermittent rain followed by sunny spells, max. temp. 21 C°.
• weather forecast
98. I’m always impressed by people who carry their __________________ on planes and work on them during the flight.
99. Viewers __________________ commercial TV have to watch advertisements __________________ petrol, washing machines, soap and many other items which they do not require __________________ and __________________ programmes.
• of, for, between, during
100. The other day I __________________ some photos I’d taken so that I could send them to a friend in America.
101. Choose the right answer: We call the written lines in silent or foreign films __________________.
102. Business newspapers often publish __________________ of vacancies companies have.
103. When scanning the photos I just __________________ the mouse and the program __________________.
• clicked, cracked
104. He’s a popular journalist, so he’s not a __________________ journalist. He’s the equivalent of a small-town gossip columnist.
105. Choose the right answer: This magazine is __________________ to housewives.
106. The word is that Clinton Roo, 32, playboy son of US steel billionaire Dwight Ross, has left his girlfriend, actress Lee-Ann Vom Post, 26, and is now in Europe.
• gossip column
107. Someone held in prison without being charged or tried is in __________________.
• arbitrary detention
108. Choose the right answer: Who is an anchorperson?
109. Company shares are listed or quoted on the __________________.
• stock market
110. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is written opinion of a book, play, film, etc.
111. Commercial TV gets its money __________________ advertising.
112. A device inside a computer that stores large amounts of information is __________________.
• hard disk
113. Prince Edward (left) enjoys a joke with actor Sam Cool (centre).
114. Choose the right answer: You like to __________________ and watch the talk shows.
• stay up late
115. Programs that you put into a computer to make it run is __________________.
116. Media attention of an intense kind is blanket __________________.
117. Now is the time to plant roses. Put trees in at least 2 apart and cover roots with 6” of soil.
• gardening tips
118. Choose the right answer: The __________________ is responsible for the arrangement of the news and features, the size and position of headlines. etc.
• make-up editor
119. Commercial programmes __________________ this channel are financed __________________ different companies which do not have anything to do __________________ the arrengement or content of these programmes.
• on, by, with
120. Premier to probe Riddle of “spics in ministry”.
121. The cheapest bucket-shop air-return to Hong Kong is now about 480 pounds and Hong Kong is a good base to visit Macao, China and Taiwan. The best season is...
122. Do you ever visit any __________________ for pop stars or film stars?
123. Choose the right answer: Newspapers give wide __________________ to world events in all countries.
124. Choose the right answer: He asked us to turn the radio __________________ because he was tying to sleep.
125. Choose the right answer: Ted asked his son __________________ the remote control.
126. Choose the right answer: When surfing channels you use a __________________.
• remote control
127. Choose the right answer: I want to watch the football game __________________ channel Six.
128. He received a number of international literary awards, culminations in the Nobel Prize for literature in 1986. He leaves a widow and two sons.
129. Choose the right answer: The __________________ is a person, or a corporation, who undertakes the printing of books, newspapers, etc., and their distribution to the public.
130. Choose the right answer: Kolokol, __________________ by A.I. Hergen, appeared in London on July 1st, 1857.
131. Choose the right answer: Telephones, e-mail and faxes are types of __________________.
132. If some critics like something and others don’t, it gets __________________.
• mixed reviews
133. Choose the right answer: Anyone who hasn’t __________________ the computer will have a problem in finding a good job.
134. An apparatus that allows information to be read from a disk or stored is __________________.
• disk drive
135. Road holding and fuel cinsumption are good but otherwise the performance lacks zip.
• new car report
136. A writer or broadcster who gives their opinion of a production, performance, record or book in a review or, more formally, a notice is a __________________.
137. If it looks as if there will be no clear winner or if there is no clear winner in the final outcome, commentators talk about a __________________.
• dead heat
138. Today is a good day to do business but a bad one for romance. Don’t take members of the opposite sex today too seriously.
139. News __________________ at regular intervals.
• is broadcst
140. Choose the right answer: I sent a letter last week and received a __________________ this week.
141. A lightweight portable computer small enough to fit in your hand is __________________.
142. Choose the right answer: The headlines of “quality” newspapers are __________________ statements, and not editorial yells as in “popular” newspapers.
143. Choose the right answer: You can hear BBC news __________________ all over the world.
144. Choose the right answer: A __________________ is someone who works in a newspaper office and decides on how the pages should be laid out, how stories need to be out, what headlines should be used and so on.
145. A machine for transfering pictures and texts into a computer is __________________.
146. Choose the right answer: There are a lot of periodicals __________________ in various. Subjects such as politics, finance, economics, science, etc.
147. Choose the right answer: Short news __________________ occupied two columns on an inside page.
148. A list of common questions and helpful answers is __________________.
149. Choose the right answer: Our faculty wall newspaper is __________________ by the students themselves.
150. Choose the right answer: What are the main international problem __________________ today and what is Russia’s stand __________________ them?.
• of, on
151. Choose the right answer: Main news stories in this paper never __________________ over into a following page.
152. Choose the right answer: If the TV programme doesn’t interest you, you __________________ it over to another channel.
153. Choose the right answer: We talk all the time since he moved __________________.
• next door
154. Choose the right answer: I never __________________ away old letters.
155. Choose the right answer: Serious news in “popular” newspapers is given in __________________ form or suppressed altogether.
156. Choose the right answer: The BBC World Service __________________ throughout the world.
157. To navigate around the internet, sometimes aimlessly, is __________________.
• to surf the net
158. Choose the right answer: Have you got an extra __________________ of today’s newspaper?.
159. Choose the right answer: Jane owns four __________________ televisions.
• very large colour
160. Choose the right answer: He has a __________________ television.
• small broken Japanese
161. You really need to use your __________________ disk for all the data you want to store.
162. Choose the right answer: Local newspaper devote a lot of __________________ to reports of local events.
• a space